Tuesday, August 05, 2014

No effort without error

I was recently in conversation with a player for the Ottawa Redblacks, Carleton Mitchell. We discussed instability, an issue that is commonly faced by professional athletes. He has recently suffered from a concussion keeping him out of the starting lineup for several weeks and preventing him from playing the sport he loves; unfortunately this is not uncommon. One day you will be at top performance, mentally and physically strong and the next day you could be injured, sidelined, or out of a contract entirely. It was great to speak to someone in a similar situation and gain perspective. It is difficult to be sidelined because ultimately I want to see my team succeed and I want to help them do that. 

Since I began playing soccer I have played in several European countries as well as across Asia and North America. In my diverse experience I have dealt with opposition in every form. Injury, missed opportunities, bad timing, and inexperience have all contributed to my unique experience. I have been dropped from the roster, been without contract questioning my future, and faced irreconcilable contract negotiations. Throughout all these obstacles I have struggled with my choice in profession, questioning my abilities as well as the decisions that lead me to each bump in the road.

I recently read a book called Graduation by Richard Lee, a goalkeeper who played in England for many years and struggled with the ups and downs of his position. He goes as far as to say he developed serious mental issues from the sport and how often he even hated or feared playing a game. 

What I learned from Richards plight as well as my personal experiences is this:

In soccer and in life, no matter how big of a setback hits you there is always an amazing opportunity to bounce back and reinvent oneself. It can be such a strong emotional feeling to be in a situation where you are doubted or criticized. Most of the time it allows you the freedom to work harder than usual with the no-holds-barred attitude that you’ve got nothing to lose, but everything to gain. I find those situations the best for my personal development. 

I think complacency can kill a persons identity, but constant self development will always build courage and fulfillment.  

Here is a quote that I have always adored and I read it before every game to remind myself that life is bigger than just todays efforts. 

“Its not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strive valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. “
    -Theodore Roosevelt

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Social Media


Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Recent Comments