Monday, August 25, 2014

Fans, Supporters, Opposers

Fans. More than spectators, more than cheers and jeers. Men and women, young girls and boys, start off as people in the crowd and soon grow to be an integral piece of the drama that is a soccer game. The suspense is heightened by the gasps of thousands in unison. The judgements by the referee are speculated and adversed through chatter and boos. Forty-five minutes at a time. Each minute filled with an emotion. Whether that be a disappointment or an intoxicating moment of joy, the experience and interaction between fans and the actions on the field are one and the same. 

As an athlete I am a fan of many other sports merely because I respect their handwork and dedication. But there are a few players and teams in the world that I have huge adoration for.
I remember when I was around 19 I went to Italy and went to see my childhood team Ac Milan play in the San Siro. For me it was a dream come true. I had magazine clippings of Paolo Maldini hanging in my room. I used to yell the name Dida when I made a save. Me and my friends would yell Insaghi when we scored and celebrated in his honor.

For me to be a fan is the same as being a player. During the moments of the game everyone is involved in the same task, to win and win well. All surrounding blur together and you forget where you are. You begin to think your on the field playing and where you will pass the ball next. Its sort of like playing the video game FIFA. Its an experience that is unlike any other and can be an addiction in its own way. 

As a goalkeeper the fans impact me profoundly. I spend a lot of my time alone in the back, most of the time talking to myself to stay focused. But when the fans are yelling my name in support and encouragement I no longer need to find ways to stay focused. They provide the musical background to my mini drama. They heighten my sense of awareness and as well boost my confidence for what will happen next. 

The opposing fans boos and jeers invoke even more feelings within. They enthuse me to prove them wrong with their cries of misery and hatred. The louder their jeers the more ramped up I feel to go into the moment of battle with arrogance and distaste for the enemy and their entourage.  

Like in a tv show or movie, when the uplifting music gets louder you just know that whatever happens next will be good. 

J. B. Priestley
To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink.



0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Social Media


Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Recent Comments