Friday, July 25, 2014

Putting in Miles

On our way to our match vs Carolina rail hawks, Richard Starnes from TSN radio asked me an interesting question. "How many miles you think you've put into this sport". 
  I hadn't really thought about it. But when I did, I've realized covered a lot of the world and spent many hours in airports and long flights to destinations I sometimes don't know much about. 
  
  My first experience was when I was 14. My coach and long time mentor called me and asked if I want to go to Germany for an academy tryout. "The team is called Leverkussen, you will like it there trust me." 
   "Who is this team Leverkussen? Are they any good?". I asked foolishly. 

It's pretty funny, I still remember to this day being in Leverkussen, training with the academy team on a pitch next to the men's team. And I remember meeting players Lucio, Oliver Butt, Peter Schumacher and others. And yet, I hadn't known any of these guys...

Mostly it's due to the fact I grew up in Gainesville Florida, a small country town in the south. A classic big truck haulin', four wheel drivin', beer and (American) football lovin' type of place. 
My knowledge of 'soccer' was limited to what I could buy on VHS tapes and what games they showed on TV every now and a blue moon. 

However While I was at training in Leverkussen I ran into one person who I had known, Frankie Hejduk from USA. I got more excited about seeing him than anyone. 


My first pro contract was in Puerto Rico. My agent called me and said to get on a flight to PR and there is a contract waiting for you. I had to Google and find out more about it. It was as foreign and unknown to me as China or Zimbabwe. 
   My third contract began in a similar fashion. I received a call from my agent saying to be in Thailand in 4 days. 4 days!!! Two of those days were mostly travel as well. Needless to say I boarded a long flight to a destination very foreign to me.

  As I remembered these moments in my career it reminds me a couple of things. Firstly, I need to learn more about other countries and their cultures. And secondly, my day job is like none other. And my career has taken me to places I probably never would've gone otherwise. It's also given me experiences and moments that are so profound and life changing. 

One of my teachers told me a quote that I always think about. It's from the actor Paul Newmon while he was waiting around on set of one of his films he cracked open a beer during the down time, and someone asked him what he was doing. 
"This waitin around is what they pay me for. Being on camera is fun for me, I'd do it for free".


That's how I feel about my profession. 



0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Social Media


Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Recent Comments